Saturday, March 26, 2011

81/2x11 Motivation

I miss college. You are probably thinking, "How can she miss it if she just finished a few months ago?" Yeah, I know. It's true. Here are three reasons in descending order...

Reason #3 of why I miss college: I definitely didn't appreciate having so many friends in my same stage of life right in one community. I didn't realize how fast it would all end. It has been so much harder this semester to be proactive about keeping friends. When I say it, it sounds crazy. I thrive off of relationships with people. With countless hours at jobs where I work with hardly anyone my age, it is difficult to keep those relationships afloat. So, I have piggybacked off of Eric's friends. I have made so many incredible friends through Eric at MCC. I am so thankful that I have such a social husband to keep me social when I don't feel like it.

Reason #2 is because I also miss learning. It is so much harder to be a learner when someone is not making you do it! Don't get me wrong, I am learning a whole lot this semester about various things, but I miss learning about literature and writing. Through my job in Wamego, I have found a new passion for ESL strategies in teaching. I am craving to know more about different curriculum that will help my students excel at the fastest rate possible. It is amazing to me how fast a language can be developed when a student is eager to learn.

Reason #1 that I miss college (well today at least) is the gratifying feeling of hearing the printer release the ink on the fresh crisp paper that will bring all of your thoughts and hours of work together in one place. That's right, I miss writing papers. It makes you feel like you have a piece of originality in a place of conformity and apathy. Don't mistake me, Majority of my papers were usually the latter, but every once in a while, I would find incredible pride in what I had written over a simple piece of literature or criticism. I miss finding pride in my work. Hopefully the day I have my own classroom, I will find that same feeling of pride in reading my students' papers. Or maybe I'll find pride in creating their assignments. Whatever and whenever it is, I hope it comes soon.

In the mean time, I find my pride in making myself read or write. I am a really bad self motivator, especially when it comes to reading. I work so much, that all I want to do when I get home is watch Netflix shows with Eric or bake cookies. So, I am making my own goal this week to not only be in the Bible reading, but also to make time to read and write in general. And maybe I'll even write a paper afterwards...
HAHA yeah right.

1 comment:

  1. So proud of how you are transitioning and opening your home for friends. Hoping and praying too you will have a classroom of students soon. love Mom

    ReplyDelete